Tuesday 31st January 2017- Day 1

I don’t think I’m cut out to be a traveller.

Today was a really long day. I was up by 5.30, and we left at six. None of the boys were awake, but I did sneak in to say goodbye to them, even thought they didn’t know it!

We bought breakfast at the bakery to eat as we drove, and I really felt that my still-warm apple scroll got the day off to an auspicious start.

We had to pick up Alyssa in Ferntree Gully, and then we had to drive back to Ferntree Gully when she realised she’d forgotten her phone. We had allowed so much time that it didn’t really matter though, and we had plenty of time once we reached the airport.

Mostly, today was a day of waiting and hanging around. We hung around the Melbourne airport waiting for our flight to Sydney, and then we hung around the Sydney airport waiting for our flight to Bali. It’s amazing how tiring doing nothing is.

The flight from Melbourne to Sydney was quick, and the flight from Sydney to Denpasar felt really long (it was about six hours I think). Cheapskate airline gave us no food and the entertainment was paid only, so I read a lot. Emma and I also played the unscrambling the word game on my phone, and she went through all the photos that are on my phone.

Emma seems fine, managing better than me actually. She was pulled aside for an explosives scan when we went through customs in Sydney though, which was kind of amusing – she would be an awfully incongruous bad guy. Going through customs in Indonesia was easy, and after organising all my medications so nicely no one even looked at them.

Alyssa had booked us into the Pop hotel, but when we got there we were directed to go to the next-door Harris hotel instead. Apparently this was because there are students staying at Pop and they (the places are owned by the same company) decided to upgrade us rather than risk us being disturbed by them. Which is all very odd, but I’m not complaining!

By the time we got up to the room it was late, so we pretty much just left our stuff and then walked down the street to buy something to eat. I am beyond tired now, but writing stuff down helps me process, so that’s good.

It’s just so overwhelming. And I miss all my boys out of all proportion to the length of time I’ve been away from them!

I’m looking forward to tomorrow though. I don’t even know what we’re going to do, but I think some sleep will go a long way towards improving my frame of mind.

And oh my god but my hair is so curly here!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s