Monday 18 July 2016

What kind of a day is it when my ‘good thing’ at dinner tonight was that I finally got to squeeze that pimple on the back of my child’s neck? It’s probably disgusting, but my fingers just itch to get at some of the pimples or blackheads he has. He refuses to let me touch them, but I got that one today. Seriously, it’s bad…I was actually considering doing his turn at cleaning the bathroom if he’d let me give him a facial, and he was considering the offer, ha ha ha!

Not that today was that bad, just kind of blah. I had a doctor appointment, but it was just to get a prescription renewed. I hate having to go to the GP for that, because although the psychiatrist prescribed it and there were many, many trials and errors and recalculations in arriving at this dosage, the GP is still obligated to ask me all those questions and offer me information about side effects. So it always feels like a waste of time.

Apart from that I cleaned up a bit and did some knitting. I made Emma try on the beautiful pink socks and discovered to my sorrow that they don’t fit her either. I’m not sure what to do with them now – keep knitting them for a couple of inches and finish them off, then just make random people try them on until I find someone with a narrow enough foot and ankle to fit them? Or (and this is more likely) do I just admire how lovely they are, then grit my teeth and pull them out, rewinding the yarn so I can start again?

It has killed my confidence in sock knitting though. So far, I have made nearly five pairs, all knit with the same 2mm needles. The first pair, made with Bendigo Woollen Mills sockyarn, had 72 stitches in stockinette and were too big for me. The second pair was made with Regia, had 64 stitches in 2×2 ribbing, and fit me fine. The third and fourth pair were both made with Stroll sock yarn, had 72 stitches in 2×2 rib and seeded rib, and fit Troy well. Now this pair is knit with Stroll sock yarn, has 64 stitches in pattern, and fits no one. Obviously it’s the pattern making the sock less stretchy, but I suppose I didn’t expect a pattern that is primarily stockinette with yarn overs and k2tog and ssk to make is SO much less stretchy than the plain stockinette. I guess only experience with different patterns and stitch counts is going to help me be able to estimate how many stitches I need to be casting on.

(And yes, obviously I could make a tension square and count stitches. That would be the proper knitterly thing to do. But I don’t want to!)

Ah well, live and learn I guess. I don’t think I can bring myself to just unravel the pink socks and start right it in knitting it again though, so I might just put them aside and do something with the striping Felici yarn.

Troy’s at hockey tonight, so I’m on my own again. Fun stuff.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s